Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /mnt/web315/c1/47/52633347/htdocs/joomla_01/libraries/windwalker/vendor/windwalker/filesystem/Iterator/ArrayObject.php on line 473 Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /mnt/web315/c1/47/52633347/htdocs/joomla_01/plugins/system/t3/includes/menu/megamenu.php on line 141 3 weeks before - a status





Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /mnt/web315/c1/47/52633347/htdocs/joomla_01/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471

The last weeks were marked by preparations for us. We are pretty far with The List of Horror: ToDos before... *sigh*, 3 weeks before departure I wouldn't want it differently :-) Whats left is the insurance nightmare and selling / signing off the cars.

Then we planned the first stages of our trip. Here is kind of a status:

Initially I didn't want to plan a thing. Just go somewhere, keep your mind open and have the freedom to decide spontaneously what to do next. Unfortunately one needs a document stating that you will leave the country, before entering it. Your flight carrier will request it, as they have to transport you back on their own costs, if the imigration officer refuses to let you in. Such a document could be a flight ticket out of the country, a hotel booking or similar - in any case you would need to know where to go next. So our approach now is to plan one step ahead. Worst case we could still change the reservation.

So here is the plan so far:

We will fly to Vancouver on July 29 and stay there for a couple of days. Via AirBnB we found a nice place to sleep in the West End on Andrea's pull-out bed. 

We booked a camper in Whitehorse, Yukon area for 2 weeks beginning of August but still wait for the confirmation email. When it is confirmed we will take care about the flights.

We still need to book a flight "out of Canada" and are currently looking into the options. Our language school in Cartagena, Colombia (school and accomodation already booked as these are 3 months...) starts August 31. Flights from Whitehorse are with many stopovers (Vancouver, Toronto or Miami or...) and a lot of transit time that can add up to a travel time of 46 hours - not fun in "one step". So we are currently discussing, where to spend the 2 weeks between Whitehorse and Cartagena without paying a fortune for the flights.

Some other thoughts, that came to our mind

Having booked some flights and accomodations we are already loosing track and getting annoyed to search within our emails for details. We might be needing an app like TripIt or TripCase. Will look into that shortly.


And finally we got the bad news, that my mum will need a surgery at her spine. It will take place a few days before our departure. Let's keep fingers crossed...


Who is writing here?

Hi, I am Manu. A year ago I decided that I need a break from the daily routine as a software engineer and quit my job. With my boyfriend I will travel the world for the next months. And I will share all the pictures, stories and whatever comes my way in this blog.

If you like, get in touch! Send me a message or directly comment on the articles!

I am happy to hear from you! :-)